Written by Tony A. San Juan
The Filipino Centre Toronto, a prominent and progressive Filipino Canadian community service hub in the Greater Toronto Area, proudly announces its search for the "Ten Outstanding Filipino-Canadian Seniors for 2022" commencing on December 15, 2022.The initiative is following the heels of the 2022 Outstanding Fil-Can Students Awards to Filipino Canadian student graduates in elementary, secondary, and post-secondary educational institutions. This time, the FCT is engaging to conduct purposefully a public tribute of recognizing, honouring, and appreciating Senior Citizen Achievers in the Filipino Canadian community in Ontario.
Specifically, the awards project is being offered by the FCT to encourage, identify and celebrate seniors who have made outstanding and valuable contributions to the life and well-being of the community by helping build a better community through their personal or professional endeavours. With their varied backgrounds as community leaders, business & management executives, social-cause advocates & volunteers, public & non-governmental officials, service-oriented & faith-focused people, and art, health, sports & media practitioners, these still active individuals are serving or have served as role models and inspirations to students, youth & young adults and their fellow senior citizens.
The "10 Outstanding Filipino Canadian Seniors of the Year" (OFCSY) Awardees will be selected from any of the following areas of endeavours, profession, discipline or service, namely:
1) Business and Entrepreneurship
2) Certified Profession/Trade
3) Community, Public or Non-governmental Service
4) Health, Wellness, and Sports
5) Arts, Media, and Public Relations
Every awardee or winner will be given a prize in the form of a Plaque of Recognition, Congratulatory Certificate, and Cash Award (the amount of which is to be determined by the FCT Board of Directors).
General Requirements for Candidates. The Candidate must meet the following Application Requirements:
1) Must complete and submit an Application Form, with 2 coloured headshot photographs
2) Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Ontario and of Filipino heritage (photocopy of an Ontario SIN Card is required)
3) Must be at least 65 years or older, at the time of application (photocopy of a government-issued Senior Citizen Card is required)
4) Must show proof of age and residency in Ontario for at least the last 5 years (a photocopy of an Ontario Health Card is required)
5) May be nominated by a recognized professional/community-based organization or may directly apply on his/her own accord
6) Must submit at least two (2) Recommendation/Reference Letters from a current or previous employer or from a professional/religious/community organization senior officer
7) Must write in no more than 250 words her/his rationale or reason(s) for the application/nomination.
Evaluation and Selection Process. The selection of awardees will be based on the following Evaluation Criteria with the suggested weight of 100 %:
1) Demonstrated Skill or Performance in the area of Expertise or Professional Practice and /or Discipline ( Licensure / Practitioner / Career Position) =25%
2) Community Engagement and Involvement ( participation in community projects and initiatives on a responsible capacity or position) = 25%
3) Awards and Honours Received from an Organization or Recognized / Reputable award-giving bodies( professional / community award of distinction) = 20%
4) Affiliation and Achievement as an Officer, Director or Member of a Recognized Organization ( membership with known community organizations) = 15%
5) Assessed rating on the Candidate's reference - testimonial, i.e. credible community standing, and individual attributes, application rationale and personal current/future plan = 15%.
The FCT Outstanding Seniors Awards Committee is composed of: Garry Tanuan, TCDSB Ward 8 trustee; Antonio Villarin, a Toronto solicitor-barrister; Mary Ann San Juan, FCT president & CEO; 2 other members to be designated later; and Tony A. San Juan, a retired Toronto educator, as Chairman. The Officers and directors of the FCT and their immediate family members are ineligible to apply for the award.
The winners will be presented and honoured at the FCT gala event on Saturday, April 15, 2023.
Deadline for submission of the completed application, nomination and requirements, either by hand, mail or online, is February 10, 2023, Friday.
The decision of the FCT Outstanding Seniors Award Committee is final and binding. Winners of the search will be informed accordingly.
For further information, contact the Filipino Toronto Centre, 4395 Sheppard Avenue East, Scarborough, Toronto, ON M1S 1T9 by phone: 416- 335- 0485 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org.